SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Game of Survivor for gardeners

rosefolly
16 years ago

Over on the Reader's Paradise forum a few weeks ago we made lists of Books to Take to a Desert Island. That and some of my recent reading have me thinking about gardens in that line.

Suppose a community of people were to be isolated on an island away from the rest of the world. I'll assume a reliable water supply, moderate rainfall, temperate climate, and no dangerous predators but no native plants that can supply food. If you could take a dozen plants with you, what would they be?

I'll start out with my list.

beans

squash

sweet potatoes

amaranth

oats

cabbage

carrots

onions

tomatoes

sunflowers

blueberries

walnuts

Not easy to choose. If I had a longer list, I'd add grapes, olives if the climate were mild enough, oranges if milder yet, a leafy green such as spinach or romaine, an additional berry or fruit and a second kind of nut. For good nutrition and insurance against occasional crop failure, you'd want a couple dozen different plants at least. I thought I'd start out with this.

I omitted seasonings plants, clothing fiber plants, medicinal plants, and trees to plant for wood, as you can see from my choices. Please feel free to add these on your own lists if you like.

Rosefolly

Comments (18)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES