SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

First time peach tree in my rose bed

kittymoonbeam
13 years ago

I have planted a peach tree in the center of my rose bed. I planted it 3 years ago to give shade for the english and antique roses whose petals were frying in the late afternoon sun. This was a tree I grafted myself using a purchased goldmine nectarine from Home Depot. The donor wood is from my friend down the street who has very tasty peaches (early but we don't know what kind- they are sweet and reliable) It has taken over the nectarine and the tree is healthy. It's a nice size now pruned to about the height of the eaves of our single story house. I kept the center open with 3 main branches beginning about 4 feet up and another fourth branch growing lower down at 2 feet from the ground.

Ok so the question is... I mulch the roses with composted horse manure and then top that all with composted leaves and coarse wood mulch. Should I be keeping this away from the trunk of the peach/nectarine tree? Also, should I be holding off the extra water while the peaches are forming? So far I have been giving the tree as much water as the roses get and it has grown extremely fast. Lots of flowers are beginning to open. Should I seal the pruning cuts I made in late December before the leaves come out? Thanks for any advice you can give

Comments (3)