SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdmiliotti_gw

First time grower: fruit tree selection help

sdmiliotti
9 years ago

Hello knowledgable green-thumbs! I'm a first time grower/gardener who wants to start planting some fruit trees. I have always wanted to start a fruit/vegetable garden but I have been at university for the past few years and it never seemed to be worth putting out the money and time only to move to a new house in a year or two. I'm currently in southern california where I will stay for at least the next two years, hopefully longer. I've become really interested in fruit trees lately and I need some help selecting my best options.

I'm planning to plant in pots to allow me the ease and the option to transport them if necessary when I go to grad school. Because I have never had a garden of my own before, I've decided to start from pre-grown 1-3 year old trees versus seeds. I'm hoping to get some advice as to which fruits might be the best to start out with. (Relatively low maintenance but will still allow me to learn). I honestly have an obsession with ALL fruits. I spend a fortune at farmers markets every week buying a variety of items, so I'm not too set on a specific thing I want to plant. I will seriously be happy with anything!

I'm looking to start out with 2-5 fruit trees. But what I've found is that in addition to choosing which fruits I want, I have to decide on which variety (or is it species?) and it's rather overwhelming. At the moment I'm thinking about pomegranates and avocados (though I'm not sure which species of either) because I eat crazy amounts of both and their some of the most expensive items I purchase, so it will hopefully save me some money in the process. From there the options are endless: nectarines (probably my third fav), peaches, pears, bananas, oranges, apples, plums, tangerines, etc. The more I research the more I'm inclined to buy them all! YUM.

If anyone can provide advice as to which fruits, or especially fruit species, are a good option for my 9b area in southern california for a beginner, I would be forever grateful. I'm also weighing the odds of purchasing them online instead of at a local nursery which is a lot more expensive. Does anyone have recommendations for sites to take a look at or stay away from? I've recently found my way onto groworganic.com Does anyone have any experience with them?

Any additional gardening tips are also always welcome! I will likely be on here asking questions every step of the way in this process. I already have my eyes set on my next project-- a vegetable bed!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!