SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sinfonian

One bush has no leaves, one never lost them?

sinfonian
16 years ago

I planted two northern high-bush blueberry plants 4 feet apart in late fall last year with a fair amount of peat moss and covered with acidic beauty bark. One is a Legacy and the other a Blueray variety.

Within a month of planting (approximately November), the Blueray lost all it's leaves and the bark is a reddish brown color. The Legacy however, has never lost its leaves and is still looking just as I planted it in late winter. I asked a few nurseries and they said blueberry bushes are deciduous so the Legacy would lose its leaves too, but it hasn't. I did a scratch test on the Blueray and it does have light green under the brown, so I'm assuming it's still alive.

Is this normal, is there a problem with one or both of them? Is there something I should do to help these guys out?

I'm new to blueberry planting, but my 4 year old LOVES blueberries so I decided to plant some. Since I need two to cross polinate, I don't want one to die on me and hurt the other. Since I understand I can plant in late fall or early spring, I still have time to get a replacement if necessary.

I appreciate the thoughts. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden in progress...

Comments (3)