SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwhittin_gw

my first garden

Hello, first time poster but I've been lurking since I caught the gardening bug.

I have a watermelon plant (just one survived my incorrect seed sowing...), two cucumbers and two squash (not sure if they are zucchini or summer). Clearly I am a newblet with much to learn, because I definitely planted almost a whole packetful of all of those and only ended up with 5 plants.

My issues now are my currently growing seedlings.

My watermelon plant has hardly grown a bit since coming up, though it seems pretty green. I put some grass clippings around it as some mulch.

My two cucumber plants seem ok, though I separated them after they came up very close together, and I guess that was a bad move. The odd thing I have noticed is that they seem to curl their leaves up around themselves during a hot day. I'll check on them after work and they look like they have their little arms up covering their heads. I googled this and didn't seem to see anything regarding that. They seem to uncurl during cool hours overnight because in the morning their arms are stretched out.

My squash plants were separated as well, and, like with the cukes, I guess that was a bad move. They seem ok but their seedling leaves are all yellow, as well as a bit of their true leaves.

Is my garden doomed? I can post some pictures later if that would be helpful.

I have not had any soil tests done but I know the soil is on the acidic side (being in New England and seeing a lot of moss growing within my lawn grass). This is a spot I converted from brambles to garden, so it has not been amended much. I am building a lasagna garden on the other side and plan to do the same with this spot as well in the fall, but haven't done much else.I know it gets good sun from about 10 am until about 4 or so.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022