SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillylam

3 New Chicken-Mom Questions

jillylam
17 years ago

Hi. I am a new chicken mom and new to this Forum. I'd like to say thank you to all - I have enjoyed many, many hours reading your posts. They are informative and fun. I have 3 RI Reds and 4 Ameraucanas. They are approx 7 months old and I'm pretty sure all are laying. They seem to be in excellent health. I purchased them at about 6 months old and so far I have had no problems with any of them. They are amazing! I could spend all day with them, do nothing else and be very happy. I'm hoping someone can help me answer a few questions. I did a search for the egg questions in past discussions but I couln't come up with an answer.

1. One of the RI Red eggs had some blood on the outside of the shell

2. Another RI Red egg had white specks stuck to the outside of the shell. (2 different girls) I recently started supplementing with Oyster shells and they love it. Are the white specks possibly too much calcium?

3. I have been feeding Agway Brand Egg Layer Crumbles (16% protein, 3% fat, 4% fiber) and I noticed on the label says "Do not feed with any Scratch grain." Why not? I have an Agway brochure that says to use a different feed - their Egg Producer Pellets (21% protein, 3% fat, 4% fiber) if scratch will be added - at a 50/50 rate.

Thank you all again for your great info and help.

Jill

Comments (6)