SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Garden Apocolypse (or Why Do I Try to Garden in Summer?)

sunnibel7 Md 7
10 years ago

Just a little thread for venting, which we all need to do at some point.

I swear, I feel like Alice in Wonderland, running to keep in one spot! Everything was going great, more or less, until about a week ago, then suddenly I'm just up to my armpits in problems... There's moles randomly running under large plants and taking out their roots, voles using the mole tunnels to sneak into spots and chew down entire plants in the safety of the tunnels where the cat can't get them, ants farming aphids on the roots of things, beetles on just about every crop (and hey, great, there are a lot more of them this year), a woodchuck that developed a taste for squash plants (why does it want to eat anything that spiny?), a young rabbit browsing across the cowpeas (which are already having troubles from the beetles and the replacement seed is rotting from too much rain) and I guess the corn was a problem earlier, I think my seed is old because with 3 sowings I've had only one plant come up for my favorite type. I think that is it. For today. The only thing that seems to be sort of under control so far is the squash bugs and that's because I've been religously squishing them every morning, apparently before they've had time to lay any eggs.

Don't get me wrong, I have methods for dealing with most of these troubles, but the rain is making it hard for some things to work. The ant bait gets diluted, the neem washes off (probably), the blood meal gets washed away, you know. And I think there is a point every summer where it gets crazy like this. I miss spring, where the only trouble was when would it get warm enough to plant and oh, I need to spray a little Bt on the broccoli.

Feel free to add your own complaints!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting