SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aro12345

Novice Farmer Needs Help

aro12345
17 years ago

I recently inhereted farmland from my step-father, with a veritable barnyard of animals.

Simultaneously, my wife and I adopted 2 children from Paraguay, ages 4 and 7 and absolutely adore them. Our 7-year old, Juan Pablo, is very-mildly differently-abled in some generally-surmountable ways, but he's got a bizarre habit of eating manure on occasion. While he's not exactly grazing or feeding, if we're all playing near the barn or feeding the animal, he'll pick up a clump of either cow, sheep or horse manure and start eating it.

When we explain to him why he shouldn't, he's passionate about "not having this at home" and it's a treat for him.

I'm sure he'll grow out of this, but he's really amazed by animal waste and somehow enjoys the taste(if only they liked all vegatables as much) and I'm just concerned about any long-term dangers that could come from doing this.

I've made repeated effort to contact someone at the Penn State program but they don't want to make any definitive statement given the unusual nature or the situation.

Comments (13)