SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

Want to plant an apple tree --help?

missemerald
14 years ago

My daughter and I are interested in planting an apple tree in our small yard. We have a typical suburban yard, in zone 7 (Northern VA). We like nice, crisp apples that don't turn mushy (I don't mind eating Golden Delicious but don't want to grow them, for example) and ones that keep well. When we pick them, we like Rome and Macintosh, and similar. Anyway, the catalogs started arriving this week and it's all very confusing... antique or not? dwarf vs. semi dwarf vs. Starkspur vs. Compspur... ? Please, any suggestions are welcome! Also, I don't really have a good idea for how long it will take to produce apples from a tree-- how old of a tree should we get? The neighborhood has lots of crabapples and a few apples as well, so would we need a second tree for fertilization? I've even seen trees which have two or three types grafted onto one... seems like a good idea, but I have doubts.

Also, some of the catalogs I've gotten so far are Stark Bros, Miller Nurseries, and Burgess. I've used Stark before but know nothing about the other two. Any help there or suggestions on where to get apples would be great. Thanks!

Comments (10)