SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laturcotte1

Any other disabled birds out there?

laturcotte1
14 years ago

A lady called 2 nights ago to ask if I would take a rooster that walked on his knees. Of course I said yes then I got thinking, knees, roosters don't have knees do they? When I saw him I realized they have elbows! We all laughed about that one. Or are they knees!! :)

It looks as though he may have broken his feet at one time. One is curled so maybe one is broken but he definately is unable to walk. The woman said the hens have started to attack him and without human protection he was unable to get to his food or water. Eventually he was unable to come out of the corner without them attacking him and she had no room to separate him.

Both legs are bright yellow and warm and if it wasn't for that one foot by looking at him you'd never know. A year ago she took him from someone who had a house fire and had to move so he's been crippled for 1 year we know of.

He came to us pretty dirty and tired and when the woman put him down in his new coop he must have sat at the water dish for 10 minutes drinking. He finished a handful of canned corn along with some scambled eggs then started in on the poultry feed.

He settled in for the night and was preening himself in the morning. Two days later he seems very alert and is clucking very loudly. She said in the year she had him he never clucked, the icing on the cake would be if he crowed.

We have to make some adjustments to his entrance way, the ramp is too steep and he won't beable to go outside by himself.

Does anyone out there have a bird with the same disabililty? His wings seem to be very small also not sure if that is from balancing himself or what.

We've named him Walter.

Lee Ann

Comments (9)