SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohiogrower

Strawberry Questions

ohiogrower
15 years ago

I grew June bearing strawberries for the first time last season. If I had known how easy they were to grow I would have started when I was a kid. I picked twelve gallons of great berries off a 50' x 3' row.

I do have a couple of questions though

I planted the berries in a 3' raised wide row and initially planted three plants every 15". These spread to completely cover the wide row. It was recommended that you then thin the plants each year to three narrow rows so that they can then spread to cover the wide row.

After thinning the plants one time it seems that it would be a lot less work to pull all of the plants and replant just as I did the first time. This would also allow me to add manure and compost to the row or replant in a different area if diseases appear to be a problem.

Is there any advantage to leaving young plants in the ground as opposed to digging them up and replanting?

I have planted a newer variety with high disease resistance, how many years can I expect to use the same row without crop rotation?

Can I just continue using my own newer plants until I see a problem with disease?

Comments (2)