SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachaelstarr

Slow Growing, confused!!

rachaelstarr
12 years ago

Hi all,

I have some square foot gardens on the patio of my condo, and have been growing vegetables in it for about 2 years now. I have a 5x2 box and 2 1x3's.

For the most part, everything I plant is very slow growing. The carrots I had over the winter grew for 4 months before I finally pulled them, and they were very small (3-4 inches). Same thing with my beets and the onions I have tried to grow.

I thought it could be that they weren't getting enough sun, as they were only getting about 5 hours during the winter months.

But now, I have planted both zucchini and cantaloupe in the garden. The zucchini is doing amazing, is huge, healthy and producing a ton. The cantaloupe that I planted at the same time, is barely about a foot tall/long. Here is a picture of both plants:

{{gwi:70683}}

You can see the zucchini on the far end, and the cantaloupe is in the bottom left square. It has been growing for about almost 3 months (from seed: seeds of change muskmelon) It just started flowering but I'm pessimistic that it will lead to anything since the plant is so small. It seems healthy, it's just very small. The rest of the plants are strawberries and they are just kind of sitting there too.

I started the soil with what is recommended in the sfg book (1/3 each of vermiculite, peat moss and good compost). Every time I replant a square I mix in a good amount of compost again (E.B. Stone organic compost). I feed about every 45 days with E.B. Stone organic tomato and vegetable food. I do a good deep water every few days depending on the weather.

I don't know what else I can do! It's confusing to me that the zucchini's (which were planted from plants bought at the nursery) would be doing so well and the cantaloupe is so blah.

Sorry for the long winded post, wanted to make sure any helpers would have most the info they need.

Thanks in advance,

Rachael

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting