SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mantaraids

Zucchini/yellow squash seedlings dying off...

mantaraids
15 years ago

While not an experienced gardener by any means, I've had plenty of success in the past starting my own seedlings. It's always seems relatively straightforward, if not easy...That is, until I moved to Nothern New Mexico where it is very dry and though not hot like the rest of the state, at our altitude of 7,800 feet the sun is so strong that none of the rules seem to apply....

This year, I've successfully sprouted about 8 zucchini and yellow squash from some old seeds I've had laying about.

So far, three of the seedlings that have reached a few inches in height and are developing the 2nd/3rd "real" leaves have died. It happens over the course of a couple of days, the "stem" part begins to wither and "pinch in" somewhere about the soil line, starving the leaves of water. Once it starts to happen, it doesn't seem to be reversible.

When it happened to the first one, I though it was just a fluke, but now, I'm worried that I'm going to lose all 8 seedlings (and have to go purchase squash if I want it this year).

Any ideas? I'm wondering if the roots are perhaps getting too hot, or maybe I'm over-watering, though I've never had a problem over-watering before. After the first two died, I cut back on keeping soil moist and let them dry out a bit, but it hasn't seemed to make a difference.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Comments (2)