SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
granby_gw

Pet (Farm)Pig Questions

18 years ago

Hi all,

Just brought home yesterday an 8 week old little runt farm pig we plan to raise as a pet. (Put her in a well constructed home yesterday, then promptly spent the next 4 hours reconstructing the home so she couldn't get out. Every now and then she would sneak in and out to check on how it was going.)

Anyway, a couple questions. I don't think this pig has been weaned (was still with her Mom as of yesterday). She doesn't seem to really know what to do with solid food. Anything in particular I should do, I assume she'll figure it out.

Do pigs eat their food wet, dry, or does it matter?

And most importantly, she's not scared of people but obviously isn't used to having them around either. She has a irritating little habit of charging at people. (In fact she charged at my teenage daughter and nipped her hand this morning - daughters fault, I had warned her to give pig some time.) Anyway, is this just a temporary scared pig thing that will go away as she learns to trust people, or is it a dangerous habit I need to put a stop to asap.

Also related to the above, I built her pen basically surrounding my chicken coop/yard, as I thought she would appreciate the chickens company. Should I keep the chickens away from her until she settles in a bit, definitely don't want a chicken getting hurt.

(Pig's prime purpose in life is to keep an elder dog company, every time we've got another dog they bother the chickens. Also needed a garden tiller).

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Comments (6)