SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Hey Jay, I've got sprawlers on the Pig Farm

12 years ago

Jay,

I first learned the term "sprawlers" from you. I never knew I would be growing them personally. The Pig Farm is what I have named he 58' row of Wild Boar Farms tomatoes, compliments of you, carsonsmimi and Dawn.

The sprawlers were a bit of an accident, albeit a serendipitous one. By the time I put up deer fence and replaced the drip irrigation destroyed by the fire, there was no budget left for CRW cages. I would have been fine with the bamboo Florida weave I've used in the past, but it wouldn't work in my new space. In the old space, it was easy enough to dig post holes 24" deep in the sand, and the postswere quite secure. And because the drainage in sand is so good, I've never taken them down to prevent rot either. In my new space the sand ends 18"-24" down, then turns into rock hard, non draining clay. I couldn't get post to stand securely. So by default I have sprawlers.

It turns out to be not such a bad thing. I don't ever remember having the hot winds here like we have this year. And it is plenty dry. Aren't those the reasons you allow yours to sprawl? Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks, for the Pig Farm, and the terminology!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County