SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

want to connect w/other NC/nearby VA growers

cousinfloyd
12 years ago

Hi,

I've been growing perennial fruit for about 8 years, 4 years at my present location, and I'm getting to the point where I'm more and more interested in connecting with other fruit growers. I'm eager to discover less common varieties, learn how to propagate more things on my own, share ideas, get local recommendations and other advice, etc. I'm located west of Winston-Salem, so pretty close to SW Virginia, and not too far from east Tennessee or NW South Carolina. If you're in any of these areas or, of course, in North Carolina, and if you're growing any unconventional fruit (beyond apples and peaches...), especially if you're growing without sprays -- whether or not the sprays are organic, I'm wanting to focus on crops and varieties that can stand up to pests and diseases better on their own, at least for now -- I'd love to communicate, and if the chance ever presents itself I'd love to come see what you're growing and/or have you come visit here. I'd also be very glad to share/trade plants/cuttings/seed. I'm currently especially interested in expanding further into pawpaws, pear (European and especially Asian), and persimmons (native, all Asian types, and crosses.) I'm also interested in pushing my zone limits with protected hardy citrus (like owari satsuma) and more pomegranates. I just recently discovered hardy kiwis and am very excited about them. I have 10 in pots still, ready to set out this spring. I make my living as a direct-market farmer, and I'm eager to make uncommon fruits a substantial part of that, although I'm also very interested in things that aren't really marketable. If I were to add it all up, I probably have over an acre planted in a wide assortment of fruits. Please get in touch if you want to explore any common interests!

Eric

themilkandhoneyfarm.blogspot.com

Comments (5)