SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maid_in_the_shade

Ailment affecting chickens' eyes, please please advise

Maid_in_the_Shade
18 years ago

What's affecting my chickens' eyes & how should I treat them? It's in my flock of 14-week old layers, noticed it on 2 yesterday & 1 more today. The weird thing is that it's only affecting the LEFT eye on each one!

The eye gets watery, a very tiny bit puffy, on one bird it's now completely shut. They keep shaking their heads to clear the drainage, the Americana's sideburn is wet from it. The drainage seems mostly thin & clear, the skin around it doesn't seem discolored.

What is it & how do I treat them? Should I try to wash the affected eye? With plain water or something else? They're on their 2nd day of antibiotic, Terramycin in their water, please tell me, what's the correct dosage for 1 gallon of water? And why oh why can't those Rx manufacturers give a dosage for us backyard birders & stop assuming that everyone needs to dose eighteen jillion gallons of water at a time? Would it help to isolate those affected birds or is everyone susceptible anyway?

It's been awfully hot here in SE Fla, and we just had an exceptionally rainy spell. These birds are in an airy wire-sided tractor plus spend some days free-ranging, where they often congegrate under a shed or in a swampy wooded area. I'm wondering if they picked up some cooties in all this dampness.

Thank you so very much for your time & attention on our behalf,

Carol in Florida

Comments (4)