SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barberberryfarm

Using Hydro-Stackers to Grow Strawberries

barberberryfarm
14 years ago

I'm researching the possibility of growing strawberries and tomatoes using the vertical hydro-stacker technology at our U-Pick under a 20' x 84' high tunnel here in central Alabama. I've read the other gardenweb treads on growing hydroponic strawberries, but was curious if there are any readers here in the South that have specifically used the hydro-stackers and what have been their experiences. The main reason I'm considering growing them under a high tunnel is to protect them from springtime frosts and freezes, hail and thunderstorm damage and, with regards to the tomatoes besides all those reasons, keep the rain off their leaves during their time in the pots. My farming experience so far has been with berries and fruit trees, so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I've also been hearing about horizontal NFT systems as another means to consider, so if you have comparable experience with that type of system, I'd definitely be interested in hearing about that as well if you have the time.

Ken Barber

Millbrook AL

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert