SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginam_oh

Can a person make a real go of it on small organic farm nowadays?

17 years ago

DH and I are tired of the corporate life. To-the-bone tired of it. Last year we bought a small (5-acre) farm and love life there. I grew up on a farm, and for all its hard work, I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything.

As we have discussed various "big picture" life stuff, one thing becomes really clear. Both of us are drawn to the idea of having a small organic farm. We don't have enough land to do anything on a large scale, which would be tremendously difficult to do organically anyway, but we've talked about a small cherry orchard, herbs, adding to our chicken flock, etc. I think in order to be successful we would need to be very diverse--make jam, pies, etc. from the cherries in addition to selling them fresh or frozen; dry the herbs, create herbed vinegars and oils, etc. in addition to selling fresh; etc. etc. etc.

Is it honestly possible to make this work for us as a full-time job? Neither of us is afraid of hard work, which is a good thing because I well understand just how hard farming is. But if we are diversified enough and willing to work hard, can a young(ish) couple make a go of it?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz