SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike758_gw

Starting a small local farm as a career?

mike758
9 years ago

I posted a similar post in the Organic Gardening section, but someone suggested I also post here, so I'm trying that.

This is one of the things I looked into/am still looking into that I can do with horticultural experience. It's something that I've looked deeply into, and has been suggested by both an old girlfriend and the owner of my local feed store. However, I feel it's bound to fail because the more I actually learn, the more unrealistic it seems.

My idea was to have a small farm of about 10-30 acres, and raise goats for goat milk and breeding; free range chickens for eggs, meat, and breeding; plus a large variety of crops.

Going off of current trends and the area I live in (especially with being in a middle to upper class suburb) this looks like it would be a success at first glance; people prefer local/organic, plus my garden crops free range eggs from my current personal operation are far superior than grocery items. Ideally, people would be willing to pay significantly more which would make it possible for a living. Some other possibility's are also selling produce from other sources, I actually grew up working in my families produce market; selling homemade baked goods, which may vary based on who I marry, and offering agritainment.

From a more detailed point of view however, it seems bound to fail. First of all, I feel a lot of people dream up the same thing, but I have never seen a successful operation like this in my area. Also, while the whole "sustainable/organic" thing appears well on paper, I don't know how legitimate it actually is. I have had great success with my poultry, but from a gardening standpoint, some stuff I grow requires pesticides (especially leaf crops) and fungicides (especially grapes). Some stuff I just can't grow even with chemical, like fruit trees and grapes. There is also issues with shelf life; I work at a produce store and a lot of local and organic stuff only holds up a few days as opposed to a week. I also don't know how many people are actually willing to pay the extra price for this stuff, a lot of people are all for organic and sustainable stuff, but I haven't seen it take off the way people speak of it as.

Another issue is start off. I don't own land, nor do I have land to inherit. I have an uncle with eight acres which he told me I can use for this sort of thing and I may have a slight chance of inheriting this, but this land is not mine and this land is trash. It can only really be used for pastor space because it's really hilly and rocky. I have another uncle who offered me four acres, but that again is trash land; about half of it is meadow land. As far as buying, that's unrealistic considering the little income I would have, and I also hate to rent because I would be building up something I don't own.

Someone also suggested that I get a full time job and slowly build this up as a side job and/or something to retire to. The biggest issue here is the fact I still have to buy land. I am working on a horticultural degree, and my teacher said to expect an annual salary of about $35,000, and as low as that sounds, its higher than the actual income average of $25,000, and the highest I can make is about $50,000-60,000. Let's say I make $35,000, that would be just enough to live an average lifestyle and would likely require my wife to work, which wouldn't leave room to fool around with this thing, and I likely wouldn't even have time to work it.

That's how I feel, and I want to see input from others. I obviously have more negativity towards it, but it's still something I look into.

Comments (13)

Sponsored