SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimbad05

starting a farm

jimbad05
17 years ago

Hello all

My names Jim and I'm 19 years old. Throughout highschool I never had much of any interest in agriculture. It all seemed so cookie cutter to me, just cattle, corn and soybeans. Also, farming isn't one of the promising fields that guidance counselers like to point out. So, I entered college to study economics. It's just something I think is neat, not something I'm really passionate about.

About halfway through the year I picked up Joel Salatin's book "You Can Farm." The book literally changed my life. I never realized agriculture could be so interesting and diverse. Chickens, turkeys, sheep, cattle, rabbits, pigs, vegetables, bramble fruits, maple syrup, christmas trees... it never struck me how many niches and specialties there are! Also, I was really impressed with Salatins ingenuity w/r to range pens for chickens. In short, the whole book just woke me up and opened my eyes.

That summer, I redoubled my efforts in the garden. I've had my successes and my failures but I've enjoyed every bit of learning. I also decided to tranfer to Ohio State and major in "Agribusiness & Applied Economics." I've decided my eventual goal will be to own a small farm with several specialties.

I was speaking to my grandpa this weekend and he asked some very critical questions, such as how would such an operation be financed and what kind of position could I get with an Agribusiness degree. I could provide only shaky answers to these questions, which kind of unsettled me. I know I'll go to college for my degree, and wish to own a farm, but how to get from point A to point B is the murky part.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make this happen? I've read alot of the posts on here and everyone seems to be very helpful and full of insight. I would appreciate any advice, quotes, success stories, whatever..

Thanks

-JG

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor