SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

I Don't Understand Humans Sometimes

calliope
13 years ago

We have a small acreage, surrounded by old pasture, a small woods, and a crop field. The owners of the farm surrounding our acreage are selling it off in chunks, but so far it's either just been farmed or vacant. IOW, no humans adjacent to our property.

We have a grotto where our spring head and house is located, and a little orchard, so it's not uncommon for deer to come on to our property on a regular basis. This year we had one particular doe with two fawns I quite enjoyed seeing. We make no attempt to feed deer or in any way lure them or interact with them, and deer is one thing I have never had a desire to hunt. So when I my husband and I would go about our daily chores, she wasn't particularly skiddish because we totally ignored her.

I was concerned for her since I didn't want her to lose her fear of humans, and I guess I had a legitimate fear. The fawns have showed up two days in a row alone grazing by our pawn or looking for apple drops in our orchard. A smell was coming from up near our spring head, and I walked up to see where it was coming from.

We heard four or five shots two days ago from that area, and sure enough..........I found her body. I know the farmers up and down my road, and none of them would take a deer out of season, a doe at that out of season, nor have any of them gotten permission to take nuisance deer that I've talked to. Why would somebody shoot a doe with fawn and just waste it? I could understand it if they were hungry.......but just to leave it lay?

It makes me sick.

Comments (6)