SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherryo_gw

Information on goat care and rabbit housing

sherryo
16 years ago

I need information on goats.Basically anything regarding housing and feeding.I have three does and two whethers.The does range in age from five years down to one year.The two whethers are a year old.

The problem I am having involves the SPCA.The officers show up,it's been an off and on thing for over two years,and proceed to tell me that I'm not providing proper care for my goats.They also claim the rabbits are stressed from being housed improperly.I will deal with each animal separately with the goats first.

I feed the goats cast off vegetables from a local fruit and vegetable chain store.They recieve hay as well.I also have a salt block down in the shed for the goats to lick during the night.

The shed seems to be another problem as I've been told the building isn't large enough.It's a four by eight shed.Last night I took a look in and found that all five goats had curled up in one end together.Are they doing this because they are overcrowded or do goats sleep this way normally?

As for the rabbits I was told that they are stressed because they are not recieving food and water 24/7.There is no way that I can possibly provide food and water 24 hours a day the way they are wording the complaint letter.

The same officers paid a visit to neighbours of mine and spoke at lenght to the husband about my animals and my personal life.This visit prompted the neighbours to spend nearly four hours one morning,while I was working,relocating all my rabbits onto a platform.The reason this was done was the husband was told that the rabbits would be fine if they were elevated several feet into the air.The rabbits seem happier now and it was wonderful to know that I have such great friends.The downside is that it was all for nothing.The SPCA now want the rabbits moved into a building and deemed the work useless.

I am at my wits end.I spent nearly a $100.00 for a vet visit intending to have a letter drawn up.The vet stated that he could'nt do so as the paddock area was undersized for the number of goats that I owned.It was erected at the suggestion of the SPCA as they did'nt think it suitable to have them tied dog style.As well I was told that the goats are deprived of something because they are stripping the bark from the spruce trees in the pen.I always believed that goats ate bark.Am I wrong in this assumption,ideas?!?

Sorry this post is so long but I'm hoping that some of the goat people on this forum can help me out.Thanks Sherry.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville