SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emyers_gw

Goats trained like dogs?

emyers
15 years ago

Never been around goats....

Was wondering if goats were allowed to free range over as many acres as they could possibly want, if they could be trained to come "home" everyday for food (or a lollypop or junkfood of some other sort).

We have quite a bit of property out in the middle of nowhere and was wondering if free range goats is out of the question.

Getting ready to clear 5 acres of planted pines and was hoping I could kind of keep them in the general vicinity without having to go to the expense of fencing them in.

However, realistically, I'm thinking that if they have free range, they are gonna be more inclined to eat my garden, household garbage etc, than they are going to be interested in hanging out on some currently barren land. Furthermore, adjacet to my house is also a hardwood "forest" and I'm wondering what kind of damage they might decide to do around there.

Recognizing that this may be unrealistic to a degree, I still wouldn't mind having a couple of goats hanging around so that my kids (boys) could grow up around them. My oldest son 7 is an animal lover and I just want to continue encouraging his interest in animals in general if I don't have to worry about them eating the siding off my house for instance.

Just would rather not build a fenced in area or a pen that they were always restricted to if it's not, somehow reasonably, required (under the circumstances).

Any thoughts in general?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths