SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oberhasli1

Sudden death of a pullet

oberhasli1
13 years ago

I had one of my 5 month old pullets die suddenly today. I noticed she was acting rather strangely in the coop this morning, just standing there near the nest boxes. She is usually one of the first out in the morning and running around like a banshee. She finally came out and didn't go after any of the scratch and was walking the edges of the outdoor run looking dazed. I walked over and picked her up - which is unusual as she wasn't very tame. She seemed to have a stunned look. I took her inside and put her in a cage with some electrolytes in the water and some rice to eat. She wasn't interested in anything. She was panting, although it wasn't hot. I had to go in to work and when I returned she was dead. She was a Cookoo Maran and 5-6 months old. I didn't notice any droppings in the cage. I felt her to make sure she wasn't egg bound. She hadn't started laying yet. She seemed fine yesterday. I looked up her symptoms in "The Chicken Health Handbook", but I have a hard time with that book as all of the diseases seem to be rare or uncommon. It didn't sound like Marek's. But, I don't know. I am worried about the rest of my hens. They seem fine - but..

Has anyone had experience with a hen dying that fast?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bonnie

Comments (3)