SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindakimy

When can we introduce the rooster?

16 years ago

Hi, everyone. I've been reading on this forum for a while. I hope some of you with more experience can help us. We have a small, rural property - 5 acres, mostly heavily wooded - with a big veggie garden, flower gardens and such. Dh decided to get some chickens because he really would like the nice fresh eggs. He got a rooster and twelve chicks. One of the chicks died pretty early on - possibly a temperature matter. But the others are healthy as all get out. They are all Rhode Island Reds.

The rooster is almost grown - I'm not sure how old...he is just growing his spurs - nubs so far - so he isn't really grown up. The rooster, Archimedes (Arkie for short...look it up - has to do with math, Archimedes, the "multiplier"...hey, it was dh's idea) is a lovely boy {{gwi:44133}}and we have been keeping him in a separate pen. The girls....well, they are six weeks old and they are in the big pen (about 25 x 30 with a coop with nest boxes and a choir roost).

O.K. The problem is that the girls are not behaving. They are climbing up on things and trying to roost in nearby trees. One has disappeared - don't know what happened to her! Dh went out this morning and found one of them outside the pen and another one limping. There are things in the woods and these girls are too dumb to realize that they should get in their house at night and hush.

So we are wondering how soon we can put the rooster in their pen. We figure he will help keep them in line and make them go to bed and such. Maybe we are being too optimistic - I still think dh is going to have to clip wings and maybe even put a chicken wire cover over the pen.

Could someone give us some advice? We just want to have some eggs - preferably without a big chicken round up like we had this evening. (sheesh)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio