SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetpea_path

Damage when your livestock escapes?

sweetpea_path
17 years ago

Hi everyone ~

We don't actually have a working farm, but we do live on 32 acres out in the country. I'm in horticulture and raise plants instead. I have a question about **etiquette** when ones livestock gets loose and damages another persons property...

A young man in our town grazes a small herd of cows on the property next door. This young man is known for not being the most responsible animal-owner. He "contained" this herd with an electric fence, although I am none too sure that it was always turned on. Yesterday his herd broke loose (about 10 cows), walked through my open gate and came walking up our winding dirt driveway right to my house, which is at least a quarter of a mile from where they were contained. I ran out and shooed them back down the driveway, but then they spooked, didn't take the last turn and ran right out into our field and out toward the county road. Long story a bit shorter, the owner never did catch them last night...they "disappeared" into the woods. And this morning at 5 a.m., there they all were outside my front door. I opened the door and they turned around and went back into the woods.

Upon inspection of my property, I see that these cows made good use of my pond overnight, trampling one whole side of it as they made their way down into the water, leaving their patties everywhere around the banks, and down the trail to my greenhouse, where they knocked two flats of plants off of a table as they tried to squeeze through.

The owner is maintaining a very nonchalant attitude about the whole problem. He says people who live in the country have to "expect livestock to escape from time to time". His wife told me that if I didn't want animals on my property, I should put up a fence!

It is now almost 24 hours later and these cows are still loose and roaming around our woods. The owner is attempting to set up a portable corral so that he can herd them out of the woods and into it -- if he can even find them. I am terribly upset about all the damage I know they must be doing by trampling and grazing as they go. These woods were replanted with young conifers a couple of years back in order to revitalize this forest and I just know that these cows are damaging those as well...

Tell me what you would do. What is the **country etiquette** about such things? To be fair, this young man did say that he would reimburse for damage, but he said he wanted to bring in a non-biased "third party" to assess it. But actually, the most critical damage is to the pond and our woods and how in the world do I put a price on that?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer :>((

Sweetpea

Comments (15)