SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

What were your beds like when you began ?

Well my delusion of gardening on super fertile farmland have be crushed , by rocks that is . Argh! I guess it was silly to think I had great soil , as really all I know is this was a livestock farm . And then prob re- graded by the builder . I have to pick ax my holes out and shovel thru countless rocks and pick ax some more ! Today I am kind of regretting my zealous move of hiring someone with a tractor to dig out my beds , because I probably would have recognized trouble ahead and perhaps moved my garden elsewhere or considered raised beds . Also I have only seen 1 worm !
I am considering having fresh garden soil dropped off from local nursery .
So I'm kinda curious , what did you start with ? What challenges did you overcome ? Did you make any mistakes you wish you could change ?
Do you think this will be ok in the end ? I guess I'm feeling overwhelmed . I have about 50 pots of roses , perrenials and vines just hanging out . I have 8 holes dug ! Lol
Tell me what you had to dig up and deal with ! I know I can do it , I just need to take my time and not expect miracles the first year .

Comments (34)