SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoria1_gw

Help.....Chick Hatching Problem?

victoria1
17 years ago

Well I went on vacation and a friend watched the animals for me. My two banty hens were setting on 11 eggs. My friend saw no activity with the eggs at all aside from one trying to peck out of the shell she thought. I had expected some to hatch at least by the end of the week.

Sunday I returned and examined the eggs. One was a dud for sure so I tossed it. Two more had crumbled shells, and two dead, almost formed little chicks inside. One had its beak sticking out, but when I removed it from the shell, its eyes werent formed completely yet, although the body looked almost intact. The other looked not ready to hatch yet, although both the eggs shells were broken in the same manner. The momma hens just kinda squaked at me and tucked the dead chicks/eggs under them (I removed them of course). I candled the rest of the 7 eggs, and there appear to be at least 4-5 more chicks. They should be ready to hatch very soon.......

BUT what was the deal with the dead ones? Do they ever hatch prematurely? Could they just not get out or something?

I would like some advice so I can prevent anything like this from happening to the others.....

Comment (1)