SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimf1117

linen closet door/hatch in shower?

JimF1117
9 years ago

I am gutting and renovating my 15.5' by 8' master bath. The new shower area can take up the entire 8' width of the room and up to 4'4" of the room length. But that large shower eliminates the linen closet, as the balance of the room is filled with the double sink, tub and toilet.

There is a large unfinished attic area alongside the entire 8' wall of the shower area. The problems with utilizing that attic area are (1) it is a bearing wall and (2) because of an elevated ceiling below, the floor in that attic area is raised by one foot. I could put the linen closet in that attic area, through the shower wall, without moving any studs. I would envision a marine boat hatch door entry into that closet, and locate it some distance from the shower heads. Has anyone ever seen anything like this or have any thoughts or photos? Theoretically, I could also expand the 4'4" width of that shower area by building a shower bench into that attic area which has the 1' raised floor. But this would involve moving some studs on a bearing wall, and my prospective builder has warned me about the costs of that undertaking. Any thoughts on whether that might be worth it?

Another thought would be to make the shower smaller than the 8' room width to accommodate the linen closet inside the existing room. If possible, I would prefer to avoid shower doors or curtains and leave the area as open as possible.

This post was edited by JimF1117 on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 22:11

Comments (8)