SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imtoobusy

Just got back from Polyface

imtoobusy
18 years ago

Hey there everyone---I have been too busy to post for a while (seems like there has been a lot going on...huh??)

This post is mostly for dan-denise because we had discussed this before but anyone else who knows about Joel Salatin go ahead and join in.

Turns out that they had to cut off registration for the Polyface field day about 3 weeks before the event becausse there were over 1200 people registered!!!! It was quite a crowd. There were 4 tractors with 2 wagons each to take people who couldn't walk the whole thing but the majority had to walk. I was a little bummed that the promised donuts didn't show up since we arrived at 6am to check out chore time and hadn't had breakfast. Had to walk a bunch of miles (felt like it) with nothing to eat until around 1pm. Ah, well, a minor problem--not even really a problem, truthfully.

Got to see all of the operations in person- the broiler pens, the eggmobile, the feathernet and hoophouse combo, the "shade mobile" for the cows, the wacky pig pastures, the winter housing in the hay shed, etc, etc. I took a bunch of pictures so that I could really get up close looks at things like the new pulley design in the new barn that raises the hay feeder up as the bedding gets really deep.

I realized I am not moving my layers often enough- my grass seems much more trampled after I move a house. His grass is still green and fresh- just has a bit of poop on it. I was pretty happy that they had used metal 12 hole nest boxes for sale. I was about to make a community nest fo the back of my hoophouse for the girls (I am cutting it real close- my friend who got her chicks the same day as me has already found an egg in her coop.) Now all I have to do is put it up in the house and put in straw!

I am starting to firm up ideas aabout how we are going to start our beef herd. I am still concerned about processing broilers--just don't know how quick it can be done with a bunch of people who don't know what they are doing AND I don't know how many people I can count on to help me on a regular basis. I do think that the chickens will be a cornerstone for us---- who doesn't like chicken????

Anyway, I am tired and am feeling that I need some sleep so I will talk to you all later.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES