SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rkgibbs3

Frugal use of old clothes and newspaper

rkgibbs3
11 years ago

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share some ideas I have been working with this year.

Every Sunday I buy the paper but didn't want to just toss it in the trash (Sunday papers are huge and take up 1/4 of my kitcen trash bag anyways). Plus, I have a lot of important documents that I don't want to just throw away. So, I started a bin in the house that I toss paper in.

Keeping this bin is awesome and I use the paper for a lot of things.

1. start fires in our fire pit out back when we want to enjoy a nice campfire (no one will ever find those important documents!)

2. Started a worm composting bin this year so they get paper from it all the time!

3. Line flower pots with to keep soil from falling out, also holds moisture too so you can shred it up and mix it in towards the bottom of flower pots with the soil.

4. Place layers of it in new raised beds

For clothes, I just started using this idea. I have a box of clothes that I wanted to either give away or try selling in my next garage sale, but honestly, I'm tired of looking at it.

A friend of mine has a neighbor (the cutest and sweetest little old lady ever!) who told him to save old clothes for raised beds. It goes along with the idea of lasagna gardening (google it if you don't know what it is). In the raised beds, you add a good layer of old clothes. Overtime they will decompose but their main purpose before they break down is to hold moisture! We all know raised beds dry out more quickly. They are great during rainy spring seasons because of their drainage but where I live, in the summer, it is hotter than the center of the earth and dryer than a desert (ok, maybe not to that extreme but sometimes I feel like it is). The point is, raised beds in my area are a pan to keep well watered so hearing this tip was awesome! Before adding new plants to my raised beds (I have only 2 now and they are long and narrow with a large arbor built between them. I use them to grow my vining veggies like pole beans, small pumpkins....) I dug up the soil and put in a good layer of clothes at the bottom. I think this will also help keep down the weeds too! So far, they are doing better than last year :)

Anyways, just wanted to share those tips!

Comment (1)

Sponsored