SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mindyw3

comparing pruned and not pruned tomato production?

Mindyw3
11 years ago

Ok, so i have my tomatoes pruned to a single stem, a few have two only because i missed suckers until they were huge, and spaced at 1 per sqft in raised beds. The neighbor directly behind me has his toms caged and only prunes off the lower leaves. Otherwise he lets them go wild. So my mother was out back yesterday giving me hell about how he has so many blossoms compared to mine. I pointed out that i also have 3 plants in the space he alots for each of his plants and the fact that he has grape toms and i have cherry, plum and beefsteak types plus an heirloom that is known for poor production(but great flavor). Do you think my arguments for single stem pruning are valid? Im starting to doubt this method. Another thing to mention is that most of my plants have set fruit several feet up so of course theyll APPEAR to be less productive if you are just looking at blossoms. But i do feel like maybe the cherries would be more productive unpruned and spaced because there is only a truss every 8 inches or so and my supports are only 5ish feet tall. Opinions? Ill add pics in a few.

Comments (12)