SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doozerzangels

My Rooster Fred Needs Help..

doozerzangels
17 years ago

I have the best chickens and roosters. Last August (2005)a dog attacked my gang killing and injuring many. Since then Fred (my passively dominant rooster to his buddy Barney both RI Reds) doesn't go up to roost, stays in the nests with a few traumatized females. The inside feathers on both wings have never grown back and he walks like an old man and sometimes shakes. Barney, even more passive is now laughingly the dominant rooster. They both crow to call the girls when I bring a treat and eat out of my hand. Fred does this crouch thing when he is scratching about and eating - as if he can't bend over so he squats down. We now have another rooster Duke (very young - chick given to us last fall) and they all seem to get on fine - he's pretty goofy too. Fred has sometimes got black spots on his comb we thought he was being picked on, maybe by Duke. I have also just noticed that he has some feathers missing on his neck. The question is, is Fred just living with injuries from the dog attack (never found anything visible other than missing wing feathers) or is the timing a coincidence and is there something more serious going on? I have been searching and reading about every disease but nothing fits. He eats well, just funny. Any and all help is appreciated - these are my babies. Thanks. Dawn

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery