SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

I have this rooster....here's his biography so far.

mersiepoo
14 years ago

I rescued him as a chick, he got out of the chicken wire and almost got pecked to death by the adult chickens. Since then he figured that I rescued him and therefore is pretty affectionate, as far as roosters go. He's a little silkie banty, he's even got a name, Chippy. :) Adorable, huh?

Anyway, before I knew much about raising chickens or guineas, I made an unfair trade with some neighbors around here. I traded them some nice healthy disease free guineas for not so nice, unhealthy disease ridden birds. Yes, hindsight is 20/20 in this case! A few of the red star chickens died within a week. Since I knew it wasn't because of the care we were giving them, I started looking closer at the chickens. Turns out they had mites and also leg mites too. Not sure what other diseases they have or had. There were some other symptoms, like sneezing, some misshapen eggs, stuff like that. I've been whittling down my flock, and it's basically down to Chippy and some hens that are going to become stew. I feel so terrible about having to do him in, but not sure if there are any other options. I don't want to give any other chicken owners a potentially diseased bird.

I just wish I could find someone who wants a rooster and doesn't have any other chickens or fowl. Figured I would post this in case anyone has any suggestions other than to eat him. He was pretty much my pet, so I hate to have to shoot him. I doubt that a wildlife rehab center would take him, ditto the Humane society. Animal Friends has a looong waiting list! If it were just the external parasites, that wouldn't be a problem, but it's the other potential disease or if he's a carrier that is the problem.

If I have to, I'll have hubby do it, because Chippy used to attack his boots in the spring, lol! Anyone know a retired farmer who wants a rooster? Sorry, he's not housebroken.

{{gwi:35123}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County