SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hengal_gw

Dead hen, I think others are sick, please help!

hengal
18 years ago

I found an aracauna hen dead last night in the coop. I looked her over, probablyh not good enough. I really just checked to see if she looked egg bound. Did not. I just came back in from the coop and another aracauna hen looked funny to me. I realized that she has redness around her eyes and down toward her beak where her face feathers usually would be. Another hen is starting to look the same way around her face, but this aracauna was looking listless too. This batch of chickens are right at one year old and they started molting several weeks ago, so the normal feather loss has not made me worry. This balding redness around the eyes and face does. Are these mites or lice??? Can they get on me when I clean out the coop?????? I have read that cleaning the coop and dusting the litter and the birds with Sevin is recommended.

I will admit, I am totally CLUELESS. I have raised chickens for 5 years and I have never had anything like this. I dont want to lose any more birds - can you please tell me what to do???? I'm really upset about this.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)