SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

before-during-after

A recent thread lamented the lack of posts showing projects/before and after views. I have recently signed up to take a Landscape Design course (http://www.horticulturecertificates.com/offering.cfm?id=2073&CFID=774952&CFTOKEN=79347524 ) through the University of Guelphs distance education program. I need something garden related to get me through the winter and keep my mind from going to mush! It will be interesting to see what the course covers and how it is done (particularly the class participation aspect!) over the Internet. Anyway it makes me wonder if I will end up wanting to dig up much of my garden and start over after I complete the course! And I wonder what insights it might offer on dealing with some of the awkward spaces IÂve had to cope with in my garden. Some of them have turned out better than others. IÂll post some pictures here for your amusement of the north alley garden, which hasnÂt turned out too badly we think, given its limitations, the rushed time we had to complete it and my (literal) seat-of-the-pants approach to planning and planting it.

Some background: The north alley is 8' wide and 50-55 long.  actually 100 or so if you go all the way to the back fence The 50-55 is just from the gate to the end of the patio. The alley faces north, with a slight tilt to the west. ItÂs mostly shady with just a bit of afternoon sun in parts. The 2' by the house are under the roof overhang and very dry. The alley was used as an access route in 1999 for heavy equipment for the renovation and addition we did after purchasing this house. As part of that renovation, the foundation was dug out and drainage tile replaced. Several years later, the alley was torn up again when it was used as access for equipment during the neighbourÂs addition to their house. The soil is heavy clay. The neighbourÂs property sits higher than ours so rain flows from their property to ours. And the downspout on the corner of their addition empties about a foot from the fence near the bottom of the alley garden. The alley also slopes to the rear of the property so water drains away relatively quickly through gravity and also through a buried (probably improperly installed!) drainage pipe leading to the ditch by the road. The alley is primarily used as a transit route from the patio/back of the house to the garage and front yard. It can be viewed from the back porch so I did need to give some consideration to the overhead view when planting.

Before:

Looking into the backyard from the top of the alley:

{{gwi:54062}}

During:

Looking up the alley as grass removal started:

{{gwi:54063}}

Most grass removed; waiting for winter 2005/2006:

{{gwi:54064}}

Spring 2006 Â new fence, gate and air conditioner screen; planting barely begun:

{{gwi:27247}}

After:

The look varies through the seasons but is always attractive to us. The path is only 30-36" wide but is wide enough for everyday use. Randy prefers to use the south alley  which has a slightly wider path  to move the lawnmower from front to back yard, but the wheelbarrow moves easily along the path as does the snow-blower in the winter when he brings it from the garage to clear the patio. I use a walker for mobility and the path works well for that too.

Early June 2008

{{gwi:54065}}

Looking down from the back porch, Sept 2008

{{gwi:54066}}

Oddly enough, I think the north alley is at its best in October!

{{gwi:54067}}

You can see the complete before-during-after at the link below. What alternatives are there for addressing such a long narrow space?

Comments (12)