SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rizzir

Verdura blocks shown on DIY - have you tried them?

rizzir
18 years ago

I'm wondering if any of you West Coast folks have used Verdura 10, Verdura 30 or Verdura 40 cast concrete "blocks" in an installation. I've seen them used on two DIY Network shows. I actually contacted the company because their website said they were available at HD but I couldn't find them. Turns out they are only available in California at this time because the company hasn't created any agreements yet to have them made elsewhere. I'm fascinated by this block because you can plant in and between each block, eliminating the possibility of hydrostatic pressure buildup and allowing you to make a "living wall" if you so choose. It is also supposed to be very easy to create curves with this product (and no, I don't work for the company!)

I'm actually a much greater fan of natural stone but it is so cost-prohibitive for me. I have a vinyl-sided 1961 Ranchburger so I wouldn't be likely to recoup the cost of stone retaining walls upon resale anyway. I'm investigating lower-cost methods of terracing the property. We suffer from erosion issues because the front lawn slopes the house, and then the property slopes even more steeply down through the back to the property line. It's basically one big hill so I have a LOT of terracing to do and retaining walls to build to make the property usable.

I'm not wedded to the idea of concrete blocks (at this point they are too cost-prohibitive, too). These Verdura blocks are potentially more affordable because you can space them fairly far apart and they also weigh less because they are hollow.

I'm hoping to hear how they worked out (or didn't work out) in an installation, and/or anything anyone knows about them, good or bad.

-Regina

Comments (8)