SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

replacing a lawn

Central_Cali369
15 years ago

Hello,

I've read over countless articles about getting rid of lawns and replacing them with more water-wise planting. After seeing many beautifull yard plantings, i've decided to give it a try. I have a small east facing front lawn that is slightly sloped for drainage to the street. I have already planted some major plants, but have yet to get rid of the lawn (doing this as my budget permits). Here is what those plantings would look like within 10 years. tried to make the planting proportional to their actual sizes.

{{gwi:53346}}

What i would like to do is get rid of the lawn, place two gravel paths (one leading from the side of the driveway and another coming from the street). The paths are in places where we instinctly walk when we come up to the house from the street or the driveway. The rest i plan on making into beds filled with groundcover/clumping aloes, crassulas, sudums, dwarf sized phormium tenax, bird of paradise (strelitzia reginae) and other suitable, low growing plants. Here is a photoshop rendition of what i intend to do:

{{gwi:53347}}

And here is an overhead plan. The unidentified dots are all small, groundcovering succulents.

{{gwi:53348}}

My question is if this design looks too crowded, or perhaps too busy? please note that the phormium tenax would not be so red in real life, they are a dark black-red.

Comments (17)