SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
je_suis_jo

What did I do wrong? (besides the obvious)

je_suis_jo
12 years ago

I finally pulled out my carrots today. They were planted 3.12.11 in a raised bed we'd just put in (filled with sorta clay-ish soil, but still loose). The bed is 8'x2 1/2'. I planted approximately 13 Sweet Treat Hybrid seeds.

I say the obvious because this is my first year gardening, and I wasn't great about watering and weeding the first month and a half since it was a pretty rainy start to spring. I didn't put the bed in the greatest spot, there was a lot more sunshine in the area before the leaves had grown on the trees. I would say the carrots probably got around 4-5 hours of sun a day.

And my question is that I waited almost a month longer than it says it takes to grow (70 days was listed on the packet, unless I misunderstood and it's 70 days from the first seedlings and not when planted) and the biggest carrot I saw was maybe an inch long. Why didn't the carrots grow longer?

So, if it's all my fault, go easy on me. But I was just hoping there was some rare genetic lengthening disease affecting carrots that they'd caught and I didn't do it ALL wrong?

Comments (5)