SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

Lucy is missing feathers on her neck

msjay2u
15 years ago

WHAT NOW!!??

i swear every time I turn around something new. Okay yesterday I went out the let the chickens out and Lucy is missing feathers on her neck. Well at first it was just a couple today she is almost bare-necked.

I am not good at capturing photos of the hens. This is the best shot I can give out of about 20 tries. I just noticed this yesterday.

{{gwi:36974}}

so what could this be? First of all remember I told you about how Lucy and Ethel attacked the new pullets so I put the pullets and bitties in a battery cage inside the chicken coop?

{{gwi:37734}}

Okay so I have noticed that Lucy no longer eats her chicken feed... she now prefers to eat the spilled feed from under the battery cage. The cage was only about 1.5" off the ground at that time. The Ameracauna makes a holy mess with the food, spewing it everywhere, and results in a large pile under the cage. Lucy goes after all the spilled feed. Since I noticed her nearly naked neck I propped the front of the cage up on a brick so she can get the food from under the cage without damaging her neck. No blood by the way just a LOT of missing feathers.

I wonder if she is also getting her head through the wire on the battery cage trying to mess with the pullets?

Maybe she is putting her head in there to drink their water too?

I am mystified.

What is this big obsession with her in not eating her own food anyway??

Also I have a lamp in there for the pullets and now Lucy and Ethel sleep on the ground and generally hang around the battery cage instead of doing like they usually did. geez!! This has messed up my whole groove. You know I clean the pen everyday. well they were pooping in the box where the pine bedding was but now they are pooping all over the floor where I just put in the pine chunks and I am not about to be out there shoveling everyday. Now I have to have all that mulch removed to clean the frick-fracking cage!! ugggh

so I need opinions on her neck issue as well as the other stuff.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County