SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellybabe_gw

problems with goat abcess HELP!!

shellybabe
18 years ago

A little while back I posted about an abcess on my goat. I got some help, we thought it was a splinter, however after several weeks of squeezing it every other day and using drawing ointments etc. It was still very angry looking. And a little larger than a walnut. Yesterday while I was lancing it, it also erupted on the top side. After removing the puss from inside I removed the dead skin where it erupted and flushed it out with peroxide until it fizzed no more. I then sutured the top opening closed with two stitches. I left the bottom opening open, for drainage. Now here's the problem. I cannot get the vet in our area to answer my calls. and my book doesn't give the after care for it. The abcess was full again of clear liquid and the white puss all over again six hours after lancing.

Question 1 Is this normal??

Question 2 I heard from a neighbor that she has had this problem before and removed the skin from the abcess, and used an ointment to cover the rawness, and let the animal grow new skin to cover it and the infection went away, is this ok to do??

I know that you guys are not vets, just wanted to know if any have had any similiar experience and what you did. Since my vet is unresponsive, and too far away to go see. She is a good goat, but is also one that if we lose her it won't be a big deal either. Just would rather not lose her.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio