SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kryingame

I'm all planted up, now what do I do--HELP?

kryingame
14 years ago

So, I built the raised veggie bed. for soil, I did a combo of garden top soil and Miracle Gro Organic garden soil. I sprinkled a good amount of Miracle Gro Shake N' Feed Continous Release All Purpose Plant Food, mixed it into the soil and wet the soil. Then I planted my veggies (I did plants instead of seeds)(Roma tomatoes; big beef tomatoes; cucumbers; squash; bell peppers; jalapenos and mint). I snaked a soaker hose around the garden and started watering every other day for 30 minutes. For the past few days, it's been raining like crazy almost non stop.

My question is, now what? What do I do now to help stimulate growth? Although the label on the Miracle Gro Shake N' Feed says that it feeds continously for 3 months, a friend of my mothers says that I should feed it every 2 weeks. Is this accurate. I don't know if there's such a thing as to much of a good thing.

Please help!

Comments (11)

• heather38
    14 years ago

I'm no expert but if it is a slow release as in continuious plant food I would trust the brand they will have chosen 3 months as the bare minimum, you can over feed, I have seen some of my plants look like a flame has been held to them due to this, it like giving children too much food, food is good but overfeeding...not good, I have learn't alot from this site, so if you think you have a problem, with soil nutrition look it up, I noticed my brocolli where abit blue answer was here, can't remember the answer that said, haha! but these people are amazing.:0)

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Yea...hence, "slow-release". Wait and maybe add a layer of compost (inch or two) on the top of them. They should do fine.

• mudflapper
    14 years ago

Unless the temp are pretty high; I would also cut back on the water, the hardest thing I had to learn when I first started gardening was that too much water can do bad things... every other day is too often, cut back to just once a week and over feeding can kill your plants... a good garden will grow at its own rate so don't rush it.

• farmersteve
    14 years ago

What do you do now?

Have patients, tend to the weeds, and watch for pests. In my opinion, you probably want to water two or three times per week for the first week, then down to twice a week for the next week or two then, as mudflapper says, once a week should be just fine unless it gets hot. I would increase the frequency of the watering for these first few weeks only because your seedlings need to develop their roots for a bit. However, you should be checking on your soil moisture several inches down. If it still quite moist don't water! When you do water, make sure you are watering deeply (ensure that the water is soaking the soil down to six or eight inches), then trust that the roots will get there.

Have patients! Trust the slow release of your fertilizer, but watch for anything strange with your plants, especially off colors. If you get anything that is off color, check back here. If you start to see pests, take a picture and check back here. If other strange things begin to pop up, check back here.

Have patients! You will, most likely, start to see some positive changes in many of your seedlings in a few days and most of them within a week. You will see some really dramatic changes at about two to three weeks.

Steve

Oh, did I mention that you should be patient? It's difficult, but try.

• kryingame
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all!

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

While you are being patient, you might want to get the mint out of the bed and into a container! Mint is known for taking over, running amok and causing havoc with a planned bed. This is the voice of experience speaking!
    I'd hold off on further fertilizing, too. You can actually burn tender roots with too much fertilizer, or get a result you don't want--too much nitrogen and you get lots of tomato leaves, few tomatoes.
    Don't worry--enjoy your garden!

• josie23
    14 years ago

Good advice on the watering. It is better to water for a longer period of time once a week than a little bit every day.

The reason is; you want your plant to develop deep roots, so they can survive a hot summer day. Especially if you take a long weekend off.

If you just water the top inch or so of your garden every few days you are telling the roots to grow close to the surface to find that water. Thus making the roots shallow, more prone to dry out in summer, and less stable in a wind storm.

If you give them a good deep soaking once a week, you force those roots to grown down to find that water and they become stronger for it.

Most veggies require about an inch a week. Put a rain gauge or straigt sided pan in your garden when you water and time how long it takes your sprinkler to reach the 1" mark. That will let you know how long to leave the sprinkler on in the future.

• lisazone6_ma
    14 years ago

Ditto to marlingardener - get out there and get that mint out asap unless that's all you plan on growing!! It'll run amok and take over your entire garden!

I've spent the past 10 years ripping the spearmint out of my perennial beds that creeps in under the fence from my neighbor's yard where he planted it right in the ground! I keep ripping it out, and it keeps coming right back!

Sounds like you have plenty of fert in there. I'd feed with manure/compost tea or seaweed/fish emulsion later in the season when the plants are much bigger and fruiting if you feel you need more. I'm only experienced with tomatoes - I'd scratch a little lime in around each tomato plant to avoid blossom end rot. Bone meal is great, but it takes time to break down so you really need to add it in fall for it to work in spring (that's what I've been told anyway!) so the lime is a quick way to get some calcium in the soil to avoid that problem. I didn't know about calcium and lack of steady water when I first planted tomatoes and it was heartbreaking to have my first crop get that black, watery mess on the bottom!! I hate to have new gardeners have to go thru that like I did!

Lisa

• imrainey
    14 years ago

I was going to say put the mint in a container too!

• bookish_gal
    14 years ago

Even after you pot up your mint, watch out for runners! I potted my mint three years ago, and when it gets tall, an occassional runner will droop over the side and take root. Keep it clipped so this doesn't happen to you. It is unbelievably invasive!
    Also, now that you've planted tomato plants, don't wait too long to stake them. I would put stakes or cages in now before they get too big and unruly.
    Also, I found a cool new product for staking called revolutionary magic tomato ties. They're not magic but they work great on all my staked plants and for bundling herbs up for drying. You can google the name to find a retailer. Also, as the other posters have written, have patience and enjoy!

• pksinan
    14 years ago

I'd avoid Miracle-Gro or or any fast acting fertilizer. They are concentrated chemical salts designed to feed the plants and NOT the soil. Maybe a good short term solution, but over the long term, you are undermining your ability to have a healthy garden because of poor soil and therefore weaker plants, which become more vulnerable to disease and pests. USE COMPOST! A couple inches on your garden beds in the early Spring before planting and another couple inches in the Fall when you put the garden to bed will give your plants evertything they need to thrive. You will also be building yourself some incredibly high quality soil over time. Like anything, a good garden takes time. Slow is good.