SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Design ideas for a semi privacy hedge (pics)

miclino
13 years ago

After three years, we are finally getting around to planning the backyard landscaping. Planniing now for landscaping next spring. We're on a small lot in typical suburbia with beautiful bay windows that look out directly into our neighbours backdoor and we'd rather look at something else. Our neigbours are very nice so we don't want to setup a solid wall of green but rather something to block key viewpoints and provide something nice to look at as well. My wife is very private person and doesn't like opening any of the shades until we get some privacy. I love to open all the shades so this is a problem......I have drawn up a plan but want some help.

Here is a view of the house from the back. Note that the house is elevated (daylight windows in basement) so any hedge will have to have some height to it. Tree is columnar sargent cherry.

{{gwi:52483}}

However the beautiful bay windows offer this view:

{{gwi:52484}}

And this view from same window. Our property ends about a foot from the edge of the neighbours raised bed and a foot or two to the left of its other edge. Also note storm sewer drain in neighbouring property.

{{gwi:52485}}

These are views of the property from either end. The burning bush base lies just within our property. It stays as per agreement with our neighbour who used to maintain it before builder came along and continues to do so. Note also, land slopes slightly away from house.

{{gwi:52486}}

{{gwi:52487}}

Here is the view from the patio door which opens to our kitchen and breakfast area. Note the trees recently planted by neighbour which I feel are unfortunately close to the property line but appear somewhat columnar. Remember property line is a foot from edge of the raised bed. It is not the low point between the two lawns.

{{gwi:52488}}

{{gwi:52489}}

{{gwi:52490}}

Some additional views from upstairs to give perspective

{{gwi:52491}}

{{gwi:52492}}

{{gwi:52493}}

Property line on this side is demarcated clearly by brown grass on neighbours side........

Okay so here is what I want to do, want to add some privacy without completely blocking out neighbours. Want to use evergreens primarily so that the effect is year round and want to do this by sacrificing as little lawn as possible. This is very important to us. I want to save as much as possible on our little lot for the kids to play on.

The back of the lot is 71 ft long. The shortest distance between patio and back property line is only about 15-17 feet or so. I want to create a raised bed extending along the entire back of the property anchored on each end by blue spruces (Not towering 50 foot behemoths but smaller versions like "bakeri"? In between, I want to use of groupings of arborvitae in threes to block line of sight from the bay window and the patio door. In between would be smaller shrubs. See plan below (not to scale). The green spots mark smaller shrubs.

{{gwi:52494}}

We definitely want to use blue spruces. Need recommendations on which one to use.

Also which arborvitae to use? Should I use smaller arborvitae in groups of three or one of the larger arborvitae like "green giant"?

I want to buy largish plants so the privacy effect is almost immediate. I don't want to wait five years for the effect, I also don't want plants that will eventually overwhelm the yard.

Would drainage be affected by putting a raised bed as in the plan? What about the storm drain on neighbours plot? What are other thoughts on the plan, am I insane or does this make sense? I may cross post in conifer forum as well. Those guys have been helpful in the past.

Comments (16)