SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reyesuela_gw

Please, please explain--Cruising YardShare...

reyesuela
15 years ago

Baby's asleep--woo-hoo!

I hit on two really nice yards--one my style, one not--the first time I glanced at that site. I looked again, though, and I've hit everything from "meh" to neutron-bomb BAD. Now, it's one thing when the visually tone-deaf yards are a labor of love of some homeowner who hasn't met a garden fairy or gazing ball s/he doesn't like, and I really do respect that at some level. But the professional bad ones are the ones that baffle me. Now, about 4/5ths of professional home landscapes that I've seen are nice in two years and grotesquely overgrown by year five. I'm USED to that. 8' shrub in 4' hole--par for the course for a certain kind of designer (who ought to be beaten with a garden hose when the owners can no longer get up the front walk, but that's another story). But there's still an aesthetic there. There's a kind of sense in the plantings even when you know it's going to look awful in just a few years.

But this...THIS just threw me for a loop:

http://www.yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=334

What the...?

Is there some mystical sense of reason here that I'm missing? What's the point of a good bit of the hardscaping? And for what DOES work--what's the point of the plantings around it? I can usually get some sort of impression of a goal behind just about anyone's design, but here, I really haven't got a clue why most of the plants are where they are. The weird collections of bad planters have me even more puzzled. And the spacing of the plants... I have no clue as to why anyone would space these plants like that. Most of the beds will look like they've been hit with a buckshot application of plants 10 years from now. And look at photo #8. The amoeba-like extension of the bed stops, what, 6" short of the sidewalk? A 6" strip of grass? FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, WHY???????

If someone can PLEASE explain the logic or aesthetic behind at least 50% of the photos, I would be grateful. Otherwise, I have to conclude that this work was done by aliens. It's not that it's in BAD taste--it's that it's in NO taste at all.

The hardscaping looks technically well done, as far as I can see it. I'll give it that much.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH