SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acw2355

Ginkgo companion plants?

acw2355
15 years ago

I was given a gift certificate for a nursery which I was finally able to use today on a Gingko "Autumn Gold" tree.

I have in mind to create a island border using the Gingko as a speciman tree along with a number of Asian-inspired plantings: Japanese Forest Grass (Hakonechloa), Japanese Blood Grass (Imperator cylindrical).

I have another border on the other side of my driveway using Vine Maple, Japanese Blood Grass and Japanese Forest Grass, and Houttuynia cordata among other plantings. It seems natural to keep the continuity of those plantings and colours (golds and salmon reds).

I should mention that the Japanese Blood Grass and Japanese Forest Grass are doing quite well together in spite of the fact that I was told they have different growing conditions. They look wonderful together in full contrast in the summer months.

This island border will be in the center of a front yard lawn, facing southwest but with afternoon shade since the neighbour's Douglas Firs filters the western sun.

Also picked up several Deer Fern (Blechnum spicant) on sale which I thought might look nice in the border as well.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

Aly in Vancouver WA

Comments (6)