SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veggiefaery

Searching for 'Garden Zen'

veggiefaery
13 years ago

During this time of year, at least in WI, the temperatures are supposed to be a little more moderate. The temps should be be good for growing cool weather plants like spinach, peas, and lettuce. But this May it hit 90 degrees on Sunday, and has been 86 degrees yesterday and today.

Of course my spinach started going to seed. I was really annoyed by this. My husband calmly looked up a meal that was heavy on the spinach and then took me out to the garden to harvest all of my spinach. He told me "It's better to get one good meal out of the spinach, then let it go completely to seed." He's right of course.

This morning when I checked on my garden before work, I saw four edamame plants had just popped out of the ground. That put a smile on my face. When I got home from work, all the edamame seedlings were eaten. There are a lot of choice words I could use to describe my feelings about rabbits at the moment, but I'll refrain.

I took my meager paycheck, cashed it, and drove to the nearest box store to buy some very appropriately named "rabbit guard" fencing. As most of you know, fencing is expensive. I was really trying to stay on a budget, but those rabbits pushed me over the edge.

When I got home to begin installing the rabbit guard fencing, I noticed a chipmunk had dug yet another hole in my garden. Of course the little bugger had to do it right next to a bean seedling. Even better, he took one of the leaves with him on his way down. I am about ready to find a rocking chair, set it down next to my garden, and sit there with a .22 on my lap.

Today, after installing some of the fencing, I had to step out on my deck and just stare at my garden. All my tomato plants look healthy, as do my pepper plants. I am already harvesting strawberries. My herbs are all coming up in my herb bed. It was a nice garden zen moment just focusing on only the good in my garden. If you've made it all the way to the bottom, thanks for reading my rant.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor