SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmarletto

Brick patio, grade issue

lmarletto
15 years ago

I have an area between the back of my house and the driveway that I'm not sure how to handle. We took out a brick patio to build an addition that connected the house and the detached garage and we'd like to get the patio back. DH and I have gone round and round about the best way to deal with the fact that the grade slopes about 8" from side of the driveway into the back of the house. Before the addition, the whole area was planted in liriope with a brick lined gutter along the back of the house. I've attached some pictures with notes.

First photo is the area in question. The 3 little casement windows are in the kitchen. They face SSW. The back porch gets 99% of the traffic in and out of the house and enters into a back hallway. The doublehung next to it is in the laundry room.

{{gwi:51584}}

This photo shows the sunroom to the left of the kitchen and a rhododendron that has looked increasing unhappy in the last few years. It's probably 50 yrs old.

{{gwi:51585}}

Swinging further around to the left you can see where the driveway comes up along side the house and then curves around the back. The redbud is a real trooper. It took several good whacks in the last year and comes back almost good as new.

{{gwi:51586}}

This is a view of where the addition attaches to the garage. The grade is currently pretty close to flat and you can see the drop off at the edge of the driveway. I'd love to replace the driveway with brick and pour a new floor in the garage, but realistically, that's probably 10 years out.

{{gwi:51587}}

I'm trying to convince DH that we should build a small, modular retaining wall a couple of feet from the driveway and step down one or two steps onto the patio. He's concerned that the weight of the cars would be too much that close to the retaining wall. Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

Comments (3)