SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

does anyone have any advice on grading the land AWAY from patio

bridget helm
16 years ago

My builder has teenage boys that have been part of the clean up crew grading our land with our builders tractor.

My husband and I went out there over the weekend with one of those leveler laser things. From the back patio slab, we thought the dirt should go down 1in, then 10ft from there another in and so on every 10ft. We staked the dirt to show them how deep to dig. They couldn't seem to understand, so just did what they wanted. I also wanted to slope the land around to the front yard where everything will drain down hill--that may be asking too much, but surely keeping the back patio from being a mud pit isn't.

The last home we owned had drainage issues and we ending up having to put in a French drain which served its purpose, but was not as effective as a properly graded yard.

I do NOT want to have to go through this again. Should I demand a professional "land grader" come out to the property? Isn't that part of new construction. In our contract it says beneath the line about termite treatment "land must be graded to properly drain" or something like that.

Any advice? I'm thinking I might get on the ding dong tractor and do it myself!

thanks,

bridget

Comments (20)