SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_j_gw

Has anyone else seen this happening?

17 years ago

As I have mentioned, I have eight Dominique pullets and one cockerel, now eight months old. Henry has been the only cockerel in the batch since the beginning and he takes himself pretty seriously. He free-ranges with his girls and keeps them together and calls and calls just before dusk to make sure all of them are in the coop. A good young flock roo.

Today, however, I noticed something that, while I have suspected it for some time, I was never sure about. I had given the chickens some rabbit bones to pick and they were all having a great time - except the pullet who chanced to be in the chicken house laying an egg. When she came out and the others were not in sight, she called and called.

Henry looked up from his treat and there was our cat Marilla between him and the chicken house. She was just enjoying the sunshine and hoping for a low-flying bird, but Henry puffed himself up and did an angry little dance, so I got Marilla out of there.

Henry calmed down and went across the lawn to the brow of the little hill down to the chicken house and started crowing at the pullet. She perked up and immediately came running toward him and rejoined the flock.

As I say, I have heard this going on before, but have never witnessed so clearly Henry's ability to keep his many wives together. I thought it was really cool. Is this common? Does anyone else have a roo that does this?

Comments (12)